Send students on an online scavenger hunt to find pieces of information on the internet so they learn different ways of retrieving data.
- Break students into groups.
- Give each group a list of items to find on the internet, then send them off to search.
- After the groups have had ample time to find the items on the list, prompt them to discuss the resources they used to find items, not including search engines.
- Have them discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using these resources over search engines.
- Other resources can include Google Maps, Wikipedia, IMDb, and YouTube.
- For a sample list of items for students to find, visit the ECS Curriculum Version 5.0 and navigate to Days 5-7 in Unit 1, page 34.