- If students have already implemented their own data structure, like a linked list, this is a great assignment to have them utilize it.
- Have students use an iterator for their search to determine if the word has already appeared in the database. This search becomes O(n^2) as opposed to O(n) if their iterator is implemented improperly.
- Have programs count the words in the Gettysburg Address to verify their program is working.
- Next, have programs count the words in War and Peace by Tolstoy.
- If they use the wrong iterator, this next step can take 4 hours or more!
- This gets right to the heart of why complexity is such a big issue and such an important part of any problem!