- Establish a classroom where students can express their opinions.
- The normal power distribution between teachers and students means that students are often hesitant to share their opinion in class.
- If students disagree with you, they might not realize that they are allowed to express their disagreement or they might not know how to express their disagreement respectfully.
- Recognize that all teaching involves a varied distribution of power dynamics.
- Explain the norms to your class for respectful and acceptable communication.
- Make sure your students know that if norms are violated, you’ll step in.